Are daydreaming about painting your wooden kitchen cabinets? Why don't you try cleaning them first for a total face lift? Yes, you read that right. And yes, this can be quite challenging especially if your cabinets have been uncleaned for years. Needless to say, you can still do miracles with your old kitchen cabinets following the right cleaning methods.
1) Prepare all the materials and tools you will need. You can use a commercial or a home-made cleaner - your choice. The same goes with your cleaning tools. Make sure that you won't be using your bare hands when cleaning your kitchen cabinets. Most of the time a dry cloth, a small scrub and a small toothbrush will suffice.
2) Treat stains right away. In case of drips and spills, make sure to treat them right away. Wet a toothbrush or small scrub brush in a bowl of diluted oil soap. Clean or scrub the stained area with it.
3) Pay attention to the corners and the hardware. Scrub around the hardware edges on your cabinets and in the corners of your cabinet surface. You will need more energy and time scrubbing dirt and stain off your cabinet if it has a very intricate surface.
4) Clean the surface of your cabinet regularly. Spray some cleaner on your cabinet's surface and wipe it off afterwards. Do this as often as you can. This will you from dealing with fossilized and stubborn dirt and stains.
5) Clean the edges and inside surfaces of your drawers and cabinet doors. A clean surface is not enough in achieving a cabinet that is totally clean. Scrub and wipe your drawers and cabinet insides clean as you address its surface.